Saturday, March 14, 2009

Kibera Kids documentary

I'm off to Nairobi to document the making of a fictional feature film being produced in the slums outside Nairobi, Kenya, with a cast of local kids and a crew of local youth. The doc will stand alone from the fictional film and tell the real stories of the kids from Kibera involved in the production.

The feature was born out of a short film called Kibera Kid. Kibera Kid is a 2006 award winning fictional short film set in the Kibera slums in Nairobi, Kenya, one of the largest slums in Africa. It was written, directed and co-produced by Nathan Collett in collaboration with the youth of Kibera. This twelve minute film features Kibera actors in all the principle roles. It has played at film festivals worldwide including the Berlin Film Festival and it won a Student EMMY from Hollywood. It has been profiled by BBC, Reuters, Al Jazeera English and many others.(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kibera_Kid)


After the success of Kibera Kid, the Kibera Youth wanted more, and the Kibera Kid Feature Film was born. They are currently in Pre-Prod, and they start filming on 23rd March. The cast is from Kibera, with with little or no screen exprience. Apart from the Heads of Departments, the rest of the crew are youth from Kibera. Most of them have never worked in production before, double the challenge!


The documentary will follow the kids from Kibera, working as cast and crew, both on and off the set to see how the fictional story and their real lives are intertwined. I want to show their aspirations for making the film against the background of the real life challenges they face. I think the doc has the potential to transcend the fictional film in terms of it's emotional power and resonance.


I just found out about the story within the past week, so we're scrambling to make it happen. Shine Global, the producers of the Oscar-nominated documentary WAR / DANCE are providing small seed funding to help us get the project off the ground, but we are seeking to match their contribution to double our chances for success...please consider contributing here:


7 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,
    I love Kibera Kid and the work Nathan is doing in Kibera. I look forward to seeing your doc following them in the process. It will be very engaging, heartwarming and inspirational and I'm sure not without some tears. What the kids lack in physical things they make up for in heart.
    I wish I could be there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah I'm unbelievably impressed that you are jumping into this with both feet and also pretty darned jealous. I wish this project the very best of success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Susan and Tom,

    I think this project is way bigger than me. Meaning that I feel the universe is conspiring to make it happen and I'm simply a pawn in the process. But I'm sooooo happy to be that pawn!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah--
    Congratulations on this project!! Our very best to you. I'm trying to send you money, but I'm having trouble with the system above--probably b/c I don't have an account with any of the listed--thus, no "profile" Hmmm.
    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got the Google account, but keep getting "error" when I try to contribute. Help! We want to support you!!
    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would prefer to send you the contribution directly. I am not confident about the security as it was not possible to easily determine if the post with the credit card number will actually use SSL. Tell me where to send a check, made out to whom exactly and I will send it promptly. This will save you the 5% overhead too. Uncle David

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, I got my answer so, it will be underway immediately! Good luck!
    Uncle Dave

    ReplyDelete

Followers