Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Catching my breath

What a whirlwind the past several weeks have been. From the moment I decided to document production of the feature film TOGETHERNESS SUPREME my life has been turbocharged. With only two weeks to prepare I had to make a leap of faith and hope I would hit the ground in Kenya running.

And I did. Tripped a couple times but I somehow managed to stay on my feet despite lack of funds to hire a fulltime cameraman, bringing the wrong tapestock, my phone getting stolen, exposure problems, scheduling unknowns and all the usual challenges of life in Africa. There's no way that I could have done it without the generous support of friends, family and even complete strangers. Thanks again and again.


Happily, the past several days I've actually had the chance to catch my breath and get some much needed rest. I've logged and digitized most of the footage we've shot so far, and I have a much better sense of the story we've been able to capture. I'm even starting to visualize the film from beginning to end. And one of the biggest benefits is that I can now anticipate what I need to shoot in my last week here. It's gonna be a challenge to get it all done but with a little luck I should leave here with the footage I need.

And then as soon as I get home I'll need to start looking for enough funding to edit a short fundraising sample. If you meant to contribute previously via but missed your chance via The Point, please consider making a donation via PayPal (link above right). Up to now I've been producing this project on the thread of a shoestring and not paying myself anything. But I can't sustain myself or the film without securing completion funds to cover future costs. My goal is to complete a rough cut by the time of the world premiere of TOGETHERNESS SUPREME in Kibera next January. Ideally, I'd like to return to document the event and discover what has transpired in the lives of the cast and crew.

But for now I'm focused on the week ahead. I depart in 8 days, 21 hrs, 24 mins!

PS: There's only a few hours left to vote on which product makes the best story (see previous post)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers